Rebekkah - 1980 Scirocco
Please forgive the sparse nature of
this web site, as I always seem to find myself
a little short on time.
Rebekkah's fourth owner. She was originally purchased in 1981 from
McDonald Volkswagen, Inver Grove Heights, MN.
- Original 1.6l CIS engine and
5-speed manual transmission. Runs and drives well!
- Never had air conditioning.
Heater works great!
- Full exterior re-spray in original
Alpine White color in 2008. Headliner replaced.
Window/sunroof seals replaced. (Over $10k in restoration.)
- Working tilt/removable
sunroof. Includes original storage pouch for sunroof panel.
- A previous owner replaced inner
high-beam headlights with Mercedes fog lights (aimed low, with
- Aftermarket wire mesh headlight
- A previous owner replaced the
stock stereo with Blaupunkt Venice Beach CD34 head unit.
- Aside from the headliner and
stereo, all-original interior with crack-free dashboard.
- Original stock alloy wheels
(including full-size spare)
- Aftermarket 15"x7" Konig "Rewind"
wheels with 195/50VR-15 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires; H&R 5mm spacers.
- Neoprene control arm bushings.
- H&R Touring Cup Kit
- Euro Sport lower front stress
- Original block heater. (I
haven't had the opportunity or bravery to try it, though.)
- Original window sticker, owner's
manual, warranty/maintenance log book, Scirocco sales brochure &
accessories pamphlets, original service records.
- Well-used Bentley repair manual.
- Car cover (best for indoor
storage). Always parked in garage or storage unit.
other miscellaneous extra bits
(and some not pictured).
- Can take 4-5 attempts to start if
she has been sitting for awhile.
- If she's hot when you turn off the
engine, she may need to cool down for ~20 minutes before she'll start
& keep running.
- 2nd gear synchro is a little
"crunchy" when cold. (Double-clutch or take it slow until she
- The left rear wheel bearing is
starting to make noise.
- Neoprene control arm bushings are
a bit squeaky over bumps in cool weather.
- Front headliner could use some
touching up (pictures pending).
- Seats would benefit from being
re-stuffed. The old horsehair filling is very dry & falling out.
- While the sunroof crank works, a
gentle touch is recommended.
- I have replaced the screws that
hold the crank mechanism in place, but like the originals, are sheet
metal screws biting into "soft" metal.
- Small gouge in front bumper cover.
- Lip spoiler missing a small chunk
on the driver's side. (Have replacement, but haven't installed
- Minor rust on pinch rails
(particularly near jacking points).
- Rear wiper inoperable. (Wiring
- Odometer inoperable. Over